Monday, February 17, 2014

Self Portrait Therapy

When I first started taking photos I didn't know what the hell I wanted to photograph. I had joined the website Flickr to try to keep myself inspired.  I alternated between landscapes and photos of my friends but still felt sort of incomplete. I then came across some teen Flickr favorites such as Alexis MireLissy Elle and Kalie Garrett and was inspired by their self portraits. They all were able to capture really beautiful emotions in their photos. 

So I decided to give it a shot and it was incredibly therapeutic. I was finally able to open up in a way that I wasn't really able to before. I was able to capture the moment and the emotion and later reflect on it.  I was able to say in a photo what I never could in words. At first my self portraits were very simple, it took me while to fully open up to myself. A lot of them looked something like this:

Yesterday I felt it was finally time to do another self portrait and get a lot of my bottled up emotions out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment